Update (April 2023): We are GETTING items in our plastic collection bins that are UNACCEPTABLE! If you are unsure IF we accept a specific item please ask our employees for clarification BEFORE YOU PLACE IT IN OUR COLLECTION BINS. If we continue to get these “UN ACCEPTED ITEMS” placed in our plastic collection bins, we may be forced to dis-continue our plastics collection. Thank-you!
Forget everything Westmoreland Cleanways has ever said about which plastics are locally accepted for recycling. As all of that is about to change… at least here at the Recycling Center! Beginning Feb. 1, 2023 Westmoreland Cleanways will be accepting plastics 1-7 as well as vinyl fencing and vinyl siding.
(In curbside, home recycling programs, the acceptable list of plastics has not changed. It is still only plastic bottles and jugs).
Drop the plastic containers off in the YELLOW Bins (located on the left, before our glass recycling area) during our regular operating hours.
2nd Saturday of each month: 8:30-Noon
This is a brand new program for Westmoreland Cleanways. We are very much entering into new territory. As we see what material is being dropped off, and what type of questions customers have, Cleanways will continue to update this page with new information pertaining to the list of accepted and unaccepted material and the dos and don’ts. Please be patient as we work out the kinks in the program.
How to do it
- Plastics must be rinsed of food waste or chemical residue.
- Labels can remain on the containers
- Keep the plastic lids on the containers (metal lids can be placed in our scrap metal bin)
- Place plastic items loose into the yellow bins (not in plastic bags or boxes)
- Expanded polystyrene (Styrofoam) and plastic bags will continue to be collected inside building 11
- Vinyl siding and vinyl fencing must be 4ft. or smaller in length
- Includes plastic containers with the recycling mobius symbol 1-7 marked on it.
- This includes, but is not limited to:
- bottles and jugs
- yogurt containers,
- detergent containers
- take out containers.
Unacceptable material includes:
- ALL Bags and film plastic (examples: grocery bags, pet food bags, mesh bags, mulch bags, soil bags)
- We do accept clean and dry PLASTIC BAGS, PLASTIC WRAP and PLASTIC FILM, but NOT in the yellow bins. Drive those inside the warehouse and hand them to a staff member.
- Plastic piping like PVC and ABS pipes
- Toys, including kiddy pools
- Rigid Plastic such as gasoline and kerosene containers, and plastic shelving
- 6 pack rings
- Plastic cases or boxes from drills/saws/other tools or items
- Chemical containing containers, such as motor oil containers
- Plastic lawn furniture
- Household trash