Do not dump items at our door when the recycling center is closed. It is considered illegal dumping and violators will be prosecuted. Please do not make a difficult situation more difficult by not following the rules.
Address and Hours of Operation
Hours of Operation:
Mondays Noon – 5 p.m.
Wednesdays and Fridays 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Second Saturday of Each Month 8:30 a.m. to Noon
Recycling Center HOW TO Videos
Welcome to the Recycling Center: A brief introduction to the Westmoreland Cleanways Recycling Center, explaining what materials are collected and why.
Recycling Center Tour: Dropping material off at the Recycling Center? Review the process and find out what to expect when visiting.
How to Recycle Electronics at the Center: Learn about the Westmoreland Cleanways electronics collection program and find out the details about the Pennsylvania’s electronics recycling law.
How to Recycle Foam at the Center: An introduction to Cleanways’ new foam recycling collection program and how it works including acceptable/not acceptable material and how to prepare the material.
CDC/Health Department Guidelines and Policies:
- The facility will be operated under all pertinent CDC Guidelines.
- All visitors must wear masks; continuous disinfection procedures followed; social distancing enforced.
- Visitors will be expected to empty their own vehicles. Staff will be on hand to provide direction and information.
- Assistance will be available for elderly and disabled visitors. Please follow staff instructions for assistance.
Acceptable and Unacceptable Materials:
printer friendly Recycling Center Brochure
Not Accepted (To avoid any confusion, please review the list of items WE DO NOT ACCEPT before loading your vehicle):
- Plastic: bottles, jugs, jars, plastic bags, vinyl siding, pool liners, furniture, toys, buckets etc.
- Wood: furniture, TV stands, speakers, organs/pianos, anything in a wooden case or cabinet (except for console or rear projection TVs)
- Specialty glass: windows, sheet glass, automotive glass, mirrors, ceramics/toilets, candles
- Incandescent light bulbs
- Ink/toner cartridges
- Mattresses, carpet, upholstered furniture
- Medical equipment
- Vacuum cleaners, rug scrubbers
- Small appliances that are mostly plastic, glass, or ceramic (coffee makers, lamps); dishwashers with plastic drum
- Single-use alkaline or rechargeable batteries, tool batteries, loose lithium ion laptop batteries
- Household hazardous waste (paint, chemicals)*
When in doubt, ask staff.
- All electronics listed below (TVs, computers and peripherals, small appliances) NO CHARGE for most items
- EXCEPT: Hazardous waste handling fee of $25 will be charged for disassembled/smashed CRT TVs and monitors
- Glass bottles and jars: clear, green brown (must be separated by color). No blue bottle glass NO CHARGE
- Paper as listed (please separate): NO CHARGE
- Cardboard (corrugated, chip board, cereal boxes)
- Sorted Office Paper (white; staples and paperclips OK)
- Mixed paper (file folders, junk mail, magazines, phone books)
- Newspaper (black and white, color inserts)
- EPS (expanded polystyrene) #6 Foam (commonly referred to as Styrofoam): NO CHARGE, Video: How to Recycle Foam at the Center
- Separate by type:
- White Block Packaging Foam, Coolers
- Colored and white food service trays (CLEAN OFF ALL FOOD RESIDUE): cups, plates, grocery store trays, egg cartons, fast food containers
- NOT RECYCLABLE: Packing peanuts, Rigid foam sheet insulation typically used in construction; “Spongey” block packaging
- Separate by type:
- Passenger/Light Truck Tires: $3.00 Off Rim/$4.00 On Rim*
- Tractor Trailer: $15.00 Off Rim/ $18.00 On Rim*
- Agricultural/farm tractor: $80.00*
- Highway/construction/heavy equipment: $80.00*
- Refrigerant-containing Appliances (frig, freezers, A/C, dehumidifiers, etc.): $20.00/unit
- Scrap Metal (non-refrigerant appliances, propane tanks, gas grills, lawn mowers, car parts, tools, misc.): NO CHARGE
- Lead Acid Batteries; Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS): NO CHARGE
- Used Motor Oil: NO CHARGE
- Bulbs and Fixtures:
- Ballasts (PCB or non-PCB) $5.00/each
- CFL (compact fluorescent)/small LED NO CHARGE
- Specialty bulbs: fluorescent tubes 4ft or smaller, u-bend, halogen, HID, high pressure sodium, LED, etc. $1.00/unit
- Fluorescent tubes 8ft or longer $2.00/each
*Members receive discount on tire disposal
Electronics, that by law must be recycled: (anything directly connected to a computer system): Video: How to Recycle Electronics
- TVs—all types (CRT tube; flat screen, rear projection, consoles (whole, intact, complete unit)
- Hazardous waste handling fee of $25 will be charged for disassembled/smashed CRT TVs and monitors
- Computer monitors—CRT tube, flat screen, and LED/LCD
- Laptops, iPads, tablets
- Peripherals (mice, keyboards, speakers)
- Printers and All-in-One Printers
Electronics Not required by law to be recycled but CAN be:
- Answering Machines
- Cell phones
- Christmas lights
- Docking Stations
- Electric typewriters
- Electrical Cords
- Fax/copy machines/duplicators
- Gaming consoles/controllers
- Remote Controls
- Stereos/tape/CD players
- Telephone systems
- Testing equipment
- VCR/DVD players
- Video games/cartridges
A Visit to the Center – What to Expect
- Where fees apply, we accept cash, checks (payable to Westmoreland Cleanways) or debit/credit cards.
- Be prepared to take plastic bags, bins and baskets back home unless they are to be recycled (cardboard boxes)
- Material should be pre-sorted as follows for ease in unloading vehicles. Sequence of drop-off in roughly the following order:
- Scrap Metal (Freon appliances*, car parts, tools, etc.) (*see price list)
- Glass bottles and jars (separate by color)
- Metal lids must be removed; can be recycled with scrap metal
- No corks
- Electronics (2 categories):
- Screens (TVs, monitors, CRTs, flat panel displays; wood cabinet consoles; rear projection)
- All other electronic devices and small appliances
- Tires* (*see price list)
- Lead Acid Batteries
- Light fixtures* (tubes, bulbs, ballast) (*see price list)
- Paper (separate by category):
- Cardboard (cardboard, cereal boxes, brown paper bags, etc.)
- Newsprint (B&W, color inserts)
- Mixed Paper (magazines/catalogs, junk mail, file folders, colored/heavily printed office paper)
- White Office Paper (white paper only; shredded paper)
- Misc. items as directed by staff