Christmas Tree Cycling
With the holiday season upon us, Westmoreland Cleanways and Recycling would like to encourage everyone to continue the spirit of giving by recycling your live Christmas tree. After the festivities are finished, you can take your tree to one of the tree-cycling drop-off sites located throughout Westmoreland County. These trees are either:
- • Chipped for mulch. The mulch will eventually decompose into valuable humus, nourishing and renewing the soil.
- • Used as wildlife habitats, prevent beachfront erosion, improve shoreline stabilization on rivers and lakes, and improve fish habitat.
Please click here for a printable list of recycling drop-off dates and locations in Westmoreland County. Click here for more information about Christmas Tree recycling. All locations require that trees are completely bare of decorations when dropped off. This includes any tree bags or wrappings used to transport the tree to the drop-off site.
If you have any questions please contact Westmoreland Cleanways and Recycling: Natalie Reese, 724-879-4020 or via email.
Household Hazardous Waste Collection
Saturday, March 18, 2017 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
HOUSEHOLD CHEMICALS: Oil Based/Latex Paint, Deck Stains, Flammable Liquids, Drain Cleaners, Pool Chemicals, Fertilizers, Antifreeze/Automotive Fluids, Putties, Adhesives, Glues, Wood/Metal Finishing Products, Water Sealers, Household Cleaning Agents, Herbicides/Pesticides.
Westmoreland Cleanways and Recycling’ next Household Hazardous Waste Collection will be held on Saturday, March 18, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Recycling Center at Innovative Park. Details are as follows:
Event Registration: Pre-registration is required; no walk-ins will be accepted. To register:
- • call ECS&R at 1-814-425-7773, or
- • visit http://www.ecsr.net/services/household-hazardous-waste/ Each registrant will be assigned a time to minimize lines and waiting
Cost: A disposal fee will be charged to all participants, on a per-pound basis, payable at the event (cash, checks, debit/credit cards). Cost will be:
- • $.75/pound for general public
- • $.65/pound for Westmoreland Cleanways and Recycling members (existing members only; memberships will not be sold on day of collection) See “Join Us” tab for membership information
Residents of some Westmoreland County municipalities have the option to recycle their HHW curbside through their garbage hauler. As this service is built into the garbage bill, no additional fees apply, but certain materials may be restricted. Click here for a flyer with complete details.
Reminder: We DO NOT and CAN NOT take Hard to Recycle Items (electronics, scrap metal, Freon appliances or tires) at this collection. Just as we DO NOT and CAN NOT take Hazardous Waste at any other time at the Westmoreland Cleanways and Recycling Center.
Westmoreland Cleanways Recycling Center
- Monday / Noon – 5:00 p.m.
- Wednesday / 8:00 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Friday / 8:00 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Second Saturday of each month / 8:30 a.m. – Noon
To meet the County's need for an outlet to recycle electronics and other hard to dispose items, Westmoreland Cleanways opened up a Recycling Center to collect items such as Electronics, Cardboard, Tires and Freon Appliances. The Center is open 3 days a week and 1 Saturday a month. Weather is not an issue as the Center has a drive-thru service, complete with our staff ready, willing, and able to help unload your vehicle.
Click here for a flyer listing all materials collected for recycling at the Westmoreland Cleanways Recycling Center.
***Please Note: As of January 16, 2017, there are price increases. Refer to the flyer (linked above) for more information.
Help Support Westmoreland Cleanways!
The Great American Cleanup of PA: March 1 through May 31
As the temperature drops and the snow hides all the litter along the roadways, it may seem like an unusual time to consider a litter cleanup or beautification project; but in fact it is the perfect time. While you are stuck inside this winter, start planning how your organized group, neighbors, or a group of one, can make an impact on our communities. Registration for the Great American Cleanup of PA, sponsored by Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful, begins mid- January. Visit to find out more information or to register your cleanup event or another project such as tree plantings, educational program, or other beautification project. When it's time for your cleanup, pick up your cleanup supplies (gloves, trash bags, safety signs) from Westmoreland Cleanways and Recycling. Let's help Keep Westmoreland County Beautiful!
Recycling Loaner Bin Program/ Special Events Recycling
Westmoreland Cleanways and Recycling has two different types of recycling bins available for loan.
- Green 22-gallon bin can be loaned out for an extended time period and is typically used indoors such as in an office or classroom. Click here for more information.
- Blue wire bin with lid is typically used at outdoor events, bazaars/fairs/festivals, sporting events, graduation parties and family reunions. Typically, these bins are available for a short-term loan. Clear, 45-gallon bags are provided. Click here for more information.
Please call the office or contact Natalie with questions or to reserve bins.
Worn But Not Worn Out – Give Your Old Shoes A New Life
Westmoreland Cleanways continues its successful partnership with Community Recycling's Shoebox Recycling Program to collect "worn but not worn out" shoes and send them to developing countries. Over one TON of shoes have been collected and distributed to people who truly need them, keeping them out of the landfill, decreasing foot-borne illness, creating economic opportunities in the local economies, and supporting Westmoreland Cleanways' educational and outreach programs. Drop-off boxes are located at Westmoreland Cleanways Recycling Center, Chambers Hall at the University of Pitt-Greensburg campus, and at several other community locations. Click here for collection sites and the types of shoes we can accept. If you would like to host a collection site or even a special collection event for Westmoreland Cleanways, please contact us at 724-879-4020.
We are always in need of pallets to be used at our Recycling Center to ship electronics for recycling. On really busy days, we can use up to 15 pallets a day, if not more. If you have unwanted, usable pallets, and can transport them to our facility, please consider donating the pallets to Westmoreland Cleanways. Call our office for more details: 724-879-4020
“I’m in! Are you?”
GREAT NEWS!!! Westmoreland Cleanways is now mobile! I’m in!, one of our valued sponsors, has designed and developed our mobile app, which is now available for download from Google Play. I’m in! also helps businesses deploy various mobile coupon and loyalty programs. These programs enable users to find great discounts at stores like Macy’s, Amazon, JC Penney and Kohl’s. Please visit their website at www.imin.com.
The Westmoreland County Recycling Guide is Available Online
A downloadable Recycling Guide for Westmoreland County is available. For the most extensive, up-to-date information on recycling opportunities in our county, download the Recycling Guide.
Like What We Do? Be a Part of Westmoreland Cleanways
As Westmoreland County's recycling professionals, we provide specialized recycling services and educational programs to residents, businesses, and municipalities across all 1,025 square miles, and in all 65 municipalities, of the county.
In 2016, Westmoreland Cleanways:
- ♲ Collected at our Recycling Center for Hard-to-Dispose Items:
- • Over 1 million pounds of TVs
- • Over 239,645 pounds of paper, cardboard, magazines, catalogs, etc.
- • Approximately 1,000 gallons of used motor oil
- • 820 Freon appliances
- • 3,620 tires; 1,510 illegally dumped tires
- • Batteries, fluorescent light bulbs, scrap metal (all un-weighed), and even...shoes
- ♲ Educated 8,500 youth and adults attending a Westmoreland Cleanways and Recycling educational program, learning about recycling, composting, litter prevention, and environmental stewardship
- ♲ Provided 33 event organizers with ClearStream Recycling Bins to keep their event just a bit more eco-friendly
- ♲ Supplied safety vests, gloves, and trash bags for almost 800 volunteers to clean up their communities
- ...And all at NO or very little cost.
Help us continue our efforts to keep Westmoreland County Clean by becoming a member. Be a part of what over 700 members already know. Membership in Westmoreland Cleanways affirms your commitment to ensuring the health and beauty of our Westmoreland community.
As a member of Westmoreland Cleanways or even as a non-member you can help to support our recycling and clean-up efforts without paying a penny. Visit our Support Us page to find out about some simple yet beneficial ways to help Westmoreland Cleanways fulfill our mission to make Westmoreland County a cleaner, healthier, more beautiful place to live and work.
If you witness an environmental risk you feel should be reported, contact the Southwest DEP office at 412-442-4192.
Find a link on our site that doesn't work? Can't find updated information?
We are continually updating our website to provide residents with the most current information and recycling opportunities available. If there is information that you cannot access or locate, please call our office at 724-879-4020. We welcome and appreciate your feedback!
Thank you to all of our Sponsors, Vendors, Board and Dedicated Volunteers who helped make our Collections a success!
- 128 Innovative Lane
- Suite 2000 (Building E)
- Latrobe, PA 15650-5462
- Phone: 724-879-4020
- Fax: 724-879-8576
- Recycling Center GPS Address:
- 113 Innovative Lane (Building F)
- Latrobe, PA 15650
Westmoreland Cleanways and Recycling
|Join Our Mailing List|